Friday 4 March 2011

What would you like to make?

Regardless of the event that we're running, I usually try and find the chance to ask children if there's anything else they'd like to make or do, aside from whatever we might be making and doing for the event already. I find this really useful, because there are definitely some trends that come out of this which I can use for event activity planning for the future.

In no particular order, I thought I'd share the top three things that kids tell me they'd like to make, and some of the reasons they give for wanting them. Some are funny, and some are downright adorable. I hope they'll all be useful in some way.

A sword

I said 'not in any particular order' but really this is what I get requests for more than anything else. As a consequence, I've developed a few different sword making methods that suit a variety of kid's ages and abilities, and the materials I've got at the time. My favourite involves cardboard, aluminium foil and a paper plate. If you want the 'recipe' let me know, I'm happy to share. Some of my favourite reasons for why they wanted a sword include; 'because I can't be a Knight without one!', 'I want to fight my sister' and 'because Johnny Depp has one'.

A hat

I've said it before, I know; kids love to wear what they've made. Usually, they're quite specific about the sort of hat they'd like, and it's not always relevant to the event going on. We've made a princess hat at a pirate event, and a crown at an animal event. In response to this, I've usually got a stack of paper bands on which they can stick anything they've made at most events. Instant hat, no planning required.

A bag

Something else that you can wear. My favourite reason for a child wanting a bag was 'well where else am I supposed to put my dinosaur?'. Quite.


And just for fun, here's a few other random things I've been asked for...
- "Can I make a mouse so it can go live in the windmill?"
- "I'd like to make the smallest elephant in the world."
- "Well if he gets a sword, I want a sheild. A really big one. Bigger than me. Please."
- "A catapult! So we can attack the castle." - this becomes less understandable when it was a Victorian event and you know that we have no castle at our museum...

Well, I hope you enjoyed that. Do share if you've had any frequent or odd requests from any of your visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment